Choate Rosemary Hall Summer Program
June 23 – July 26, 2019
Number of scholarships: 4
Age: current 6th and 7th graders
Member Program Tuition Cost: $1,625 per student
Market Value Price: $8300 per student
SEA Primary Contact: Sonia Gonzalez; email@example.com
Choate Primary Contact: Susan Farrell; firstname.lastname@example.org
January 14 – Programs notified of student selections
January 25 – Programs must confirm that selected students will move forward with application process
March 1 – Deadline for full Choate Summer School Application and Financial Aid materials submitted directly to Choate
SELECTION & APPLICATION NEXT STEPS **time sensitive
SEA will announce the four nominees who have been chosen to submit their application to Choate on January 14, 2019. After confirming participation, selected nominees will then be required to fill out the full Choate Summer School application and follow the steps below.
Application materials may be sent via mail, fax or email to:
1. Member Program advisors should read overview of the financial aid student application process: 2018 Choate Summer School General Application Website and Financial Aid Application Instructions
2. Complete Online Application – Application fee will be waived. Type in “SEA” in the Other Field when responding to the application question on How they heard about Choate Summer Programs. They should also type in “Requesting Fee Waiver” right before their essay in the personal statement field, and then they should select “Pay by Check” when they get to the application payment screen (they do not need to send a check).
The application will need to be completed in one sitting (you will not be able to save an incomplete application and return to finish it later). In addition to answering questions about your academic history, you will be asked to:
a. provide one parent’s or guardian’s: cell phone, email, employment, and occupation. (Only a prefix, first name, and last name will be required for any additional parents or guardians);
b.select the program and courses you are interested in (If you have not already done so, review the program and course selections);
c. provide a personal statement
A 250-350 word Personal Statement is required. The form will not submit if that field is blank.
You can compose your statement in a word processing program and copy it into the personal statement field, or indicate in the field that you’ll submit your statement at a later date via email.
PROMPT: Please share with us how attending Choate Summer Programs relates to your interests, abilities, and aspirations. How do the specific program (s) and courses you are applying for fit with who you are now and with who you wish to become as a student and as a person?
3. School transcript (a photocopy of transcript is acceptable) – Be sure your school includes a transcript with current courses and current grades in the material sent directly to Choate Summer Programs. Can be sent via mail, email or fax.
4. Financial Aid Application Form – Print and distribute to student’s family to complete this form. Family will also need to include a copy of completed 2017 1040 and W2 IRS tax forms for all custodial and non-custodial parents or guardians, and must include all supporting documents. Can be sent via mail, email or fax.
5. Recommendations (2 teacher and 1 school official) – Complete the Teacher and School Official Recommendation Request Form. Once you submit the application, you will receive an email with a link to the Recommendation Request Form. Note: depending on the course selection, your student may have specific requirements for teacher recommendations. Instructions are outlined on the recommendation forms.
***If your teacher/school official cannot complete the forms online, please use the PDF versions here (school official and teacher recommender) and have the school email, mail, or fax the completed forms to the Choate Summer Programs Office. Recommendations are confidential and should be sent directly to Choate.
6. Submit a Graded Essay – Provide a recent graded essay – preferably from an English/Humanities course and email, mail or fax to Choate. Can be sent via mail, email or fax.
SUMMER SCHOOL TUITION, FEES, ADDITIONAL COSTS
Tuition, Fees and Additional Costs
Member programs should be prepared to contribute $325 per week for private school summer programs and $450 per week for pre-college programs. Tuition for Choate gets sent directly to the school, not SEA.
PLEASE NOTE that each school requires additional funds (between $200-$500) for books, supplies and incidentals that are not included in the tuition. Programs may be asked to pay for these costs upfront upon acceptance of each student and is an additional cost to the tuition. In certain cases, an initial enrollment fee upon acceptance may also be requested and will vary in amount depending on the school and the financial documents submitted by the students’ families. For Choate, all students are required to have health insurance, though they can purchase a policy through Choate if needed.
To determine the amount of scholarship allotted, most schools will require the family of each student to fill out a confidential financial questionnaire and provide copies of 2017 or 2018 IRS 1040 Forms and copies of Supporting W-2 Forms and/or 1099 Forms from the same year as the IRS 1040 Form. **Based on this information, the school may ask for an additional contribution from a student’s family based on their ability to pay. It is very important that this is clear to your students’ families before you make your nominations – they must be willing to disclose financial information and able to provide supporting documentation, and they may be asked by the school to contribute to the cost of the program.
Member Programs should be prepared to contribute for each student accepted:
- Member programs should be prepared to contribute $325 per week for private school summer programs and $450 per week for pre-college programs.
- Additional stipend for books, supplies, and incidentals (between $200-$500)
- Travel costs
SEA is committed to raising the following funds for each student accepted:
- Balance of scholarship tuition
- $100 towards airfare (if necessary)
- Application fee for selected students
For general inquiries, see the link below.
Choate Summer Program
For specific concerns, please contact Sonia Gonzalez, Director of Educational Partnerships & Alumni, email@example.com