Hotchkiss Summer Portals
June 28 – July 28, 2020; staggered sessions of 2-3 weeks
Number of scholarships: 7
Age: current 7th – 11th graders
Member Program Tuition Cost: $650-975 per student, depending on program
Market Value Price: ~$3,200-$5,500 per student
SEA Primary Contact: Sonia Gonzalez; email@example.com
Hotchkiss Primary Contact: Christie Rawlings; firstname.lastname@example.org
January 13 – Programs notified of student selections
January 24 – Programs must confirm that selected students will move forward with application process and provide selected Portals Course (ie. Robotics, DNA Science, Film, etc).
March 1 – Deadline for full Hotchkiss Summer Portals Application
SELECTION & APPLICATION NEXT STEPS **time sensitive
SEA will announce the four nominees who have been chosen to submit their application to Hotchkiss on January 13, 2020. After confirming participation, selected nominees will then be required to fill out the full Hotchkiss Summer Portals application and follow the steps below.
Application materials may be uploaded directly to the online application portal or emailed to email@example.com (please be sure to include your full legal name and/or the application reference number in the email).
2. Complete Online Application – Please create an account or log in to access the Summer Application. Please use the student’s information to create an account and do not create multiple accounts. Application fee will be waived and you do not need to pay to continue going through the application. Type in “SEA urban squash” in the application question on How you heard about Hotchkiss Summer Portals. STUDENTS DO NOT need to complete the financial aid application.
3. School transcript (a photocopy of transcript is acceptable) – Be sure your school includes a transcript with current courses and current grades. After submitting your online application, the current school transcript may be uploaded from the status page of your account. Please choose Summer Portals Transcript as the upload material type.
4. Recommendations (2 teachers) –In the Recommendations section of the online application, please enter the Recommender/Teacher information. Once the information is entered, the teacher will be emailed an online Recommendation Form to complete. When the teacher completes and submits the online Recommendation Form, it will be added to your Summer Application. The status of the recommendations is available on your application status page. Note: Member program staff can write one of these recommendations on behalf of your applicants!
SUMMER SCHOOL TUITION, FEES, ADDITIONAL COSTS
Tuition, Fees and Additional Costs
Member programs should be prepared to contribute $300 per week for private school and pre-college. Tuition for Hotchkiss gets sent directly to the school, not SEA. ***Hotchkiss also requires students to have health insurance. If a student has out-of-state (CT) Medicare, s/he will have to purchase this for an additional $145.
PLEASE NOTE that each school may require additional funds (between $200-$500) for books, supplies and incidentals that are not included in the tuition. Programs may be asked to pay for these costs upfront upon acceptance of each student and is an additional cost to the tuition. In certain cases, an initial enrollment fee upon acceptance may also be requested and will vary in amount depending on the school and the financial documents submitted by the students’ families.
Member Program Contributions
Member Programs should be prepared to contribute for each student accepted:
- $300 per week for private school and pre-college programs, and pay for student travel costs.
- Additional stipend for books, supplies, and incidentals (between $200-$500). Each school may require additional funds for books, supplies and incidentals that are not included in the tuition. Programs may be asked to pay for these costs upfront upon acceptance of each student
(an additional cost to the tuition).
- In certain cases, an initial enrollment fee/deposit is required upon acceptance. Amounts vary depending on the school and financial documents submitted by the students’ families. Any enrollment fee/deposit will be deducted from the total member program contribution ($300 per week).
- Programs may consider splitting some of these costs with the families. See below for details.
- Member programs should be explicit with families what portion of incidentals (books, supplies, enrollment fee/deposit, travel) will be covered by the program versus by the family. Member programs may use this worksheet to help calculate potential family contributions.
- To determine the scholarship amount allotted, most schools will require the family of each student to fill out a confidential financial questionnaire and provide copies of 2018 or 2019 IRS 1040 Forms and copies of supporting W-2 Forms and/or 1099 Forms from the same year as the IRS 1040 Form. Based on this information, the school may ask for an additional contribution from a student’s family based on their ability to pay. It is very important that this is clear to your students’ families before you make your nominations. They must be willing to disclose financial information and able to provide supporting documentation, and they may be asked by the school to contribute to the cost of the program.
- We recommend requesting that families provide a copy of the 2018 or 2019 IRS 1040 Forms and/or copies of W-2 Forms and/or 1099 Forms to member programs in order to help SEA match students with the most affordable summer school opportunities possible.
SEA is committed to raising the following funds for each student accepted:
- Balance of tuition, room & board
- $100 towards airfare (if necessary)
- Application fee (if necessary)
- Family Conversation Guide
- Master Tracker of all Summer Schools/Programs with dates, program length, all links, number of students we send, and grade levels/ages.
- Worksheet: Calculating Potential Family Contribution
For general inquiries, see the link below.
Hotchkiss Summer Portals
For specific concerns, please contact Sonia Gonzalez, Director of Educational Partnerships & Alumni, firstname.lastname@example.org