Northwestern University Pre-College Program
Flexible 3-week sessions between June 30 – August 9, 2019
Number of scholarships: 3
Age: current 6th – 11th graders
Member Program Tuition Cost: $1350 per student (textbooks/supplies/activities could be an additional $400)
Market Value Price: $3,795 per student
SEA Primary Contact: Sonia Gonzalez; email@example.com
Northwestern Primary Contact:Paula Olszewski-Kubilius; firstname.lastname@example.org
January 14 – Programs notified of student selections
January 25 – Programs must confirm that selected students will move forward with application process
February 12 – Deadline for full Northwestern summer program application and financial aid application submitted directly to Northwestern
SELECTION & APPLICATION NEXT STEPS **time sensitive
SEA will announce the nominees who have been chosen to submit their application to Northwestern on January 14, 2019. After confirming participation, selected nominees will then be required to fill out the full Northwestern Summer Program application and follow the steps below. All application materials should be uploaded and submitted via the Northwester Summer Application portal.
1. Member Program advisors should apply to either Spectrum (grades 6-8) or Equinox (grades 9-12) based on what is age-appropriate. For the purposes of the Summer Program, students are considered to be in the grade they just completed and NOT the grade they will enter in the fall.
2. Create an application account for the Northwestern CTD Application portal – Please be sure to create only one account per applicant. **Provide an email address that will get checked regularly!
For the Spectrum program, click here to read through the application process details.
For the Equinox program, click here to read through the application process details.
New Scores Applicant
You are a new scores applicant if you are in grade 6 through grade 8 and you meet either one of the following criteria:
You have not attended any CTD program for the past two years and you have qualifying test scores (Verbal, Math or Science) for your desired course that are no more than two years old.
You have previously attended a course with the Summer Program or CTD Online Program, but you are now applying for a course with a different qualifying subject area (Verbal, Math or Science) and you have qualifying test scores.
New Portfolio Applicant
You are a portfolio applicant if you are in grade 6 through grade 8 and the following is applicable to you:
You do not have qualifying test scores because you have either:
1) never taken the required grade-level assessment or above-grade-level test
2) taken this type of test but not achieved a qualifying score.
An Admission Portfolio includes the following documents:
Required: one teacher recommendation form indicating that the student is performing 1½ to 2 years above grade level in the subject area of the course to which the student is applying.
Required: most recent school report card indicating exceptional performance in the subject area of the course to which the student is applying.
3. Complete Application Form and Essay – Your application provides basic information about you. In addition, students should be prepared to write an essay telling us:
what you hope to learn in the program to which you are applying; why this is of interest to you; what contributions you hope to make; and any further information you want to convey to Northwestern admissions.
**Advisors, the essay is an important part of the application and needs to show thoughtfulness. Please proofread your students’ submission.
4. Identify as an SEA Partner Student – On the online application, our fee waiver code is: 19WAIVER. When you get to the page regarding financial aid, at the top please select NO. But under that, there is a box that says, do you have a group code? You should put this code in there. This will bypass the need for any payment at the end of the application to submit it.
5. Submit Academic Transcript and Test Scores- Students must submit a transcript that contains grades for current academic term and all years in middle or high school. Students must submit their most recent report card as well. If available, please also submit most recent state testing report (e.g. NWEA/MAP) or any results of a grade-level test.
SUMMER SCHOOL TUITION, FEES, ADDITIONAL COSTS
Tuition, Fees and Additional Costs
Member programs should be prepared to contribute $325 per week for private school summer programs and $450 per week for pre-college programs. Tuition for Northwestern will be paid directly to Northwestern.
PLEASE NOTE that each school requires additional funds (between $200-$500) for books, supplies and incidentals that are not included in the tuition. Programs may be asked to pay for these costs upfront upon acceptance of each student and is an additional cost to the tuition. In certain cases, an initial enrollment fee upon acceptance may also be requested and will vary in amount depending on the school and the financial documents submitted by the students’ families.
To determine the amount of scholarship allotted, most schools will require the family of each student to fill out a confidential financial questionnaire and provide copies of 2017 or 2018 IRS 1040 Forms and copies of Supporting W-2 Forms and/or 1099 Forms from the same year as the IRS 1040 Form. **Based on this information, the school may ask for an additional contribution from a student’s family based on their ability to pay. It is very important that this is clear to your students’ families before you make your nominations – they must be willing to disclose financial information and able to provide supporting documentation, and they may be asked by the school to contribute to the cost of the program.
Member Programs should be prepared to contribute for each student accepted:
- Member programs should be prepared to contribute $325 per week for private school summer programs and $450 per week for pre-college programs.
- Additional stipend for books, supplies, and incidentals (between $200-$500)
- Travel costs
SEA is committed to raising the following funds for each student accepted:
- Balance of scholarship tuition
- $100 towards airfare (if necessary)
- Application fee for selected students
For general inquiries, see the link below.
Northwestern Pre-College Summer Programs
For specific concerns, please contact Sonia Gonzalez, Director of Educational Partnerships & Alumni, email@example.com