Taft Summer School
June 27 – July 31, 2020
Number of scholarships: 8
Age: current 7th and 8th graders
Member Program Tuition Cost: $1,500 per student
Market Value Price: $8,400 per student
SEA Primary Contact: Sonia Gonzalez; firstname.lastname@example.org
Taft Primary Contact: Kristina Kulikauskas, email@example.com
January 13 – Programs notified of student selections
January 24 – Programs must confirm that selected students will move forward with application process
March 1 – Deadline for full Taft Summer School Application and Financial Aid materials submitted directly to Taft
SELECTION & APPLICATION NEXT STEPS **time sensitive
SEA will announce the eight nominees who have been chosen to submit their application to Taft on January 13, 2020. After confirming participation, selected nominees will then be required to fill out the full Taft Summer School application and follow the steps below.
TAFT REQUESTS THAT THE FOLLOWING MATERIALS BE SUBMITTED BY MARCH 1 IN ONE COMPLETE PACKAGE EITHER ELECTRONICALLY (email to taftschool.leapfile.net ) OR TO THE MAILING ADDRESS BELOW:
Taft Summer School
110 Woodbury Road
Watertown, CT 06795
1. Member Program advisors should read overview of the financial aid student application process: 2020 Taft Summer School Financial Aid Application Information and General Application Instructions
a. Application Form A – complete Application Form A for the Young Scholars Program, including choosing two 100-level and two 200-level courses. Make sure that your parents or guardians sign the back of the form. To learn about available courses, review the Taft Summer School 2020 Course Catalog.
PLEASE NOTE: THE APPLICATION FEE WILL BE WAIVED.
b. Application Forms B, C, & D – Ask the appropriate teachers, school head, or guidance counselor to complete these documents; note: member programs may complete the counselor documents on behalf of students. You may either collect the forms back to submit in one bundle (recommended) or provide the following options for them to send independently:
Email: taftschool.leapfile.net (secure file delivery) Fax: 860-945-7859
Mail: Taft Summer School
110 Woodbury Road
Watertown, CT 06795
3. School transcript (a photocopy of an official transcript is acceptable) – Send a copy of your student’s certified school transcript from the most recent year
4. Financial Aid Application Form – Print and distribute to student’s family to complete this form. Family will also need to submit copies of their 2019 IRS 1040 forms, parents’ W2 forms and/or 1099 forms. If 2019 is unavailable, 2018 tax forms will be sufficient.
5. Student Handwritten Short Responses – Print and have student complete the writing sample questions located on the last two pages of the Financial Aid Application Form.
SUMMER SCHOOL TUITION, FEES, ADDITIONAL COSTS
Tuition, Fees and Additional Costs
Member programs should be prepared to contribute $300 per week for private school and pre-college. Tuition for Taft gets sent directly to the school, not SEA.
PLEASE NOTE that each school may require additional funds (between $200-$500) for books, supplies and incidentals that are not included in the tuition. Programs may be asked to pay for these costs upfront upon acceptance of each student and is an additional cost to the tuition. In certain cases, an initial enrollment fee upon acceptance may also be requested and will vary in amount depending on the school and the financial documents submitted by the students’ families.
Member Program Contributions
Member Programs should be prepared to contribute for each student accepted:
- $300 per week for private school and pre-college programs, and pay for student travel costs.
- Additional stipend for books, supplies, and incidentals (between $200-$500). Each school may require additional funds for books, supplies and incidentals that are not included in the tuition. Programs may be asked to pay for these costs upfront upon acceptance of each student
(an additional cost to the tuition).
- In certain cases, an initial enrollment fee/deposit is required upon acceptance. Amounts vary depending on the school and financial documents submitted by the students’ families. Any enrollment fee/deposit will be deducted from the total member program contribution ($300 per week).
- Programs may consider splitting some of these costs with the families. See below for details.
- Member programs should be explicit with families what portion of incidentals (books, supplies, enrollment fee/deposit, travel) will be covered by the program versus by the family. Member programs may use this worksheet to help calculate potential family contributions.
- To determine the scholarship amount allotted, most schools will require the family of each student to fill out a confidential financial questionnaire and provide copies of 2018 or 2019 IRS 1040 Forms and copies of supporting W-2 Forms and/or 1099 Forms from the same year as the IRS 1040 Form. Based on this information, the school may ask for an additional contribution from a student’s family based on their ability to pay. It is very important that this is clear to your students’ families before you make your nominations. They must be willing to disclose financial information and able to provide supporting documentation, and they may be asked by the school to contribute to the cost of the program.
- We recommend requesting that families provide a copy of the 2018 or 2019 IRS 1040 Forms and/or copies of W-2 Forms and/or 1099 Forms to member programs in order to help SEA match students with the most affordable summer school opportunities possible.
SEA is committed to raising the following funds for each student accepted:
- Balance of tuition, room & board
- $100 towards airfare (if necessary)
- Application fee (if necessary)
- Family Conversation Guide
- Master Tracker of all Summer Schools/Programs with dates, program length, all links, number of students we send, and grade levels/ages.
- Worksheet: Calculating Potential Family Contribution
For general inquiries, see the link below.
Taft Summer School Website
For specific concerns, please contact Sonia Gonzalez, Director of Educational Partnerships & Alumni, firstname.lastname@example.org