University of Michigan Pre-College Program
Ann Arbor, MI
Flexible 2-week sessions between June 28 – August 7, 2020
Number of scholarships: 4
Age: current 9th – 11th graders
Member Program Tuition Cost: $600 per student (all course supplies included)
Market Value Price: $2,250 per student
SEA Primary Contact: Sonia Gonzalez; email@example.com
Northwestern Primary Contact: Mary Braun; firstname.lastname@example.org
January 13 – Programs notified of student selections
January 24 – Programs must confirm that selected students will move forward with application process
February 12 – Deadline for full University of Michigan summer program application submitted directly to UMichigan (applications not yet released; deadline may be extended – Sonia will provide an update ASAP)
SELECTION & APPLICATION NEXT STEPS **time sensitive
SEA will announce the nominees who have been chosen to submit their application to UMichigan (MMSS) on January 13, 2020. After confirming participation, selected nominees will then be required to fill out the full MMSS application and follow the steps below. All application materials should be uploaded and submitted via the Friends Summer Application portal.
1. Create an application “Friend” account for the Michigan Math and Science Scholars Application– Please be sure to create only one account per applicant. **Provide an email address that will get checked regularly! Students can choose what session they want, and rank courses in order of preference. Look at course availability and compare transcript for grades in those areas.
3. Complete Application Form and Personal Statement – Your application provides basic information about you. In addition, students should be prepared to write an essay telling us:
the courses you have taken, external influences, computer experience, and research interests that draw you to this program, or other relevant information to help us evaluate your application material.
**Advisors, the essay is the most important part of the application and needs to show thoughtfulness. Please proofread your students’ submission.
4. Submit Academic Transcript – Students must submit a transcript that contains grades for current academic term and all years in high school. Transcripts may be unofficial, and do not have to include an cumulative GPA or ACT/SAT scores.
5. Letter of Recommendation – Students must submit a letter of recommendation (once the application has been submitted, an email will be sent to the recommender with instructions for how to submit the letter).
Note: Email communications are auto-generated, and you may contact MMSS to request copies to be forwarded to your email address as well.
SUMMER SCHOOL TUITION, FEES, ADDITIONAL COSTS
Tuition, Fees and Additional Costs
Member programs should be prepared to contribute $300 per week for private school and pre-college. Tuition for UMichigan should be paid directly to SEA.
PLEASE NOTE that each school may require additional funds (between $200-$500) for books, supplies and incidentals that are not included in the tuition. Programs may be asked to pay for these costs upfront upon acceptance of each student and is an additional cost to the tuition. In certain cases, an initial enrollment fee upon acceptance may also be requested and will vary in amount depending on the school and the financial documents submitted by the students’ families.
Member Program Contributions
Member Programs should be prepared to contribute for each student accepted:
- $300 per week for private school and pre-college programs, and pay for student travel costs.
- Additional stipend for books, supplies, and incidentals (between $200-$500). Each school may require additional funds for books, supplies and incidentals that are not included in the tuition. Programs may be asked to pay for these costs upfront upon acceptance of each student
(an additional cost to the tuition).
- In certain cases, an initial enrollment fee/deposit is required upon acceptance. Amounts vary depending on the school and financial documents submitted by the students’ families. Any enrollment fee/deposit will be deducted from the total member program contribution ($300 per week).
- Programs may consider splitting some of these costs with the families. See below for details.
- Member programs should be explicit with families what portion of incidentals (books, supplies, enrollment fee/deposit, travel) will be covered by the program versus by the family. Member programs may use this worksheet to help calculate potential family contributions.
- To determine the scholarship amount allotted, most schools will require the family of each student to fill out a confidential financial questionnaire and provide copies of 2018 or 2019 IRS 1040 Forms and copies of supporting W-2 Forms and/or 1099 Forms from the same year as the IRS 1040 Form. Based on this information, the school may ask for an additional contribution from a student’s family based on their ability to pay. It is very important that this is clear to your students’ families before you make your nominations. They must be willing to disclose financial information and able to provide supporting documentation, and they may be asked by the school to contribute to the cost of the program.
- We recommend requesting that families provide a copy of the 2018 or 2019 IRS 1040 Forms and/or copies of W-2 Forms and/or 1099 Forms to member programs in order to help SEA match students with the most affordable summer school opportunities possible.
SEA is committed to raising the following funds for each student accepted:
- Balance of tuition, room & board
- $100 towards airfare (if necessary)
- Application fee (if necessary)
- Family Conversation Guide
- Master Tracker of all Summer Schools/Programs with dates, program length, all links, number of students we send, and grade levels/ages.
- Worksheet: Calculating Potential Family Contribution
For general inquiries, see the link below.
Michigan Math and Science Scholars (UMichigan) Pre-College Summer Programs
For specific concerns, please contact Sonia Gonzalez, Director of Educational Partnerships & Alumni, email@example.com